Post license training

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
I would hazard a guess that 98% of motorists NOTE I tend to differentiate between them and who I call drivers as to me drivers tend to be more situationally aware of what is happening all around them when out and about and use or practice what is considered by professional drivers and instructors the correct seating and hand positions and not try to copy Dom from the Fast &Furious movies.

I would encourage anyone who has not had any further training or instruction post their test to undertake a defensive and or skidpan training day to update their skills and understanding to get more of the feeling when traction and grip is lost.

I have over the years spoken to people who have lost control and "had an accident" and hit something and have told them in the gentlest way that you lost control of the car as it only responds to the "drivers" inputs on the controls or that their speed was inappropriate given the prevailing conditions or type of road they were on.

I would also urge that any family or friends that intend to "teach" anyone to at least brush up on the rules as I see so many doing so fail to indicate correctly if at all or direct the learner into the "fast" lane when the kerb / left lanes are clear.

Indeed driving is a skill one must continue to develop, I put together all the tips I've picked up over the years into a video course, you'll find them on this playlist. The observation and anticipation are keys IMO.

You can't beat having proper instruction though as you say, even if it is just a refresher course or advanced driving lesson.